International students with “F” or “J” visa status are required to be covered under the UHS Student Health Insurance Plan or have equivalent health insurance coverage, regardless of the number of credit hours taken. At the time of registration, the student will be charged for the coverage period on their student financial account.
ACTION REQUIRED: Each international student with “F” or “J” visa status must ACTIVATE their enrollment or submit a WAIVER each coverage period.
INSURANCE ENROLLMENT ACTIVATION (you wish to be enrolled in the UHS Student Health Insurance Plan):
You will need to ACTIVATE your enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan each coverage period. It is recommended that you complete this ACTIVATION at least one week prior to the beginning of the new coverage period to ensure you have access to your insurance account.
Failure to ACTIVATE your enrollment in a timely manner will result in a delay in your ability to use your Student Health Insurance Plan. If you do not ACTIVATE your enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, your enrollment will automatically activate after the close of Open Enrollment Period for the designated coverage period.
Once you login, select the Green ‘ENROLL – Click Here’ button under the “Yes, I want the insurance.” Section.
Your enrollment will be submitted to the insurance carrier for processing. Allow
2-3 business days for completion.
‘F’ Student Visa Holders Click Here to Enroll
‘J’ Student Visa Holders Click Here to Enroll
WAIVER REQUEST: A waiver of the health insurance fee may be requested online with proof of acceptable alternate insurance. In order to be approved for a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), your alternative health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by the waiver deadline date. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed for compliance and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your University email
within seven business days. Late submissions will not be accepted.
A. An international student may request a waiver of this mandatory health insurance fee in the following instances with proof of acceptable alternate insurance.
1. The student is sponsored by the U.S. government, the government of the student’s home country if recognized by the U.S. or by certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and if the sponsor has provided a plan equivalent to the SHIP or a letter guaranteeing payment of all health care expenses.
2. The student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan which is equivalent to the SHIP.
If medical evacuation and repatriation that equals the amounts as compared to the SHIP are not included in an otherwise acceptable policy, a rider must be purchased
B. All International Students with “F” or “J” visa status Student Visa Holders must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
1. Medical/preventative care benefits equivalent to the UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan with
no annual limits.
2. Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
3. Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
4. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000.
5. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
6. Dates of coverage meet or exceed the requirement for the SHIP coverage period.
· Fall: August 1st – December 31st
NOTE: Individual plans, travel plans, health sharing plans or plans that require individuals to pay for treatment before being reimbursed will NOT be accepted for waiver approval.
C. International “J” Student Visa Holders must have a policy whose deductible does not exceed $500 annually.
D. International “F” Student Visa Holders must have a policy whose deductible does not exceed $1,500 (individual)/$3,000 (family) annually.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit electronic copies of the following documents with your online waiver request:
- A scanned copy of the front and back of
your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member.
- A scanned copy of your complete policy,
including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations in English using
- A scanned copy of your medical evacuation
and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
Once you login, select the RED button under the “No, I do not want the insurance.” Section.
Click Here To Enroll or Submit the ‘F’ Student Waiver Request
Click Here To Enroll or Submit the ‘J’ Student Waiver Request
Please see the ‘AHP Waiver System – Student Training’ link below for a video tutorial on how to use the Waiver System.